Friday, August 5, 2011

Tagalog/Filipino=Chinese of Southeast Asia?

People tell me that Tagalog/Filipino language sounds as if it were the Chinese of Southeast Asia, meaning it sounds kinda like Chinese, but for SE Asia. I sorta understand what they mean though, because the "aw" in a word is pronounced "ao", and "ay" in a word is pronounced "ai" (like the word laway. (pronounced LAO-WAI)) It was even mistaken for Japanese once or twice (it happened to me before, don't know about others.) For example, it has the "ah" sounds, "ai" sounds, "eh" sounds, & "oh" sounds. I dunno though, what do you think? I completely disagree with those statements that it sounds Spanish. In my opinion, that's only because of the different Spanish vocab. If anything, we have more Chinese vocabulary/Chinese sounding words then Spanish (we have words originating from Hokkien, Fujianese, Cantonese, etc.) I don't know though. What do you think? Does Tagalog/Filipino=Chinese of Southeast Asia, or sound similar to Chinese/Japanese? Please help! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment